Great Grandmother's Magnifying Glass





My necklace is actually a magnifying glass. It belonged to my great grandmother, 
Grace Todd. She was British. I got it from my mother's cousin Phyllis when I visited her in England in 2018. 



I have a very small family so having small items from relatives is very special. When I visited Phyllis, she  said, "I have something for you." I fell in love with this -- even before she told me what it was. Back in the 1800s not everyone had eye glasses, so my great grandmother would use this magnifying glass to see better. She had worn it around her neck on a string. 
When I got home, I put it on a little chain.

I wear it as much as I can. 

It’s very meaningful because I have very little from my mother’s British family.  My mother moved to America from England when she was a child. Sadly, I lost my mother tragically 25 years ago. I was young to lose my mother; she was way too young to die. So to have anything from her part of the family is very, very special.

It’s such a unique little piece that every time I wear it, somebody notices!


Jen West was interviewed by Jaye Ann Terry at the Black Dog Café at Lake Ella in Tallahassee.










Comments

Do You Have a Jewelry Story?
Contact:
Jaye Ann Terry
bijouxbios1
@gmail.com

BIJOUX BIOS CREATORS


Jaye Ann Terry
Interviewer, Writer

Margo Hammond
Editor

Popular posts from this blog

The Bearable Lightness of Jewelry

"It constantly reminds me of my mother."

Welcome to Bijoux Bios